Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

5 days in

For those of you in NaNoWriMo, it's your fifth day. How are you doing so far?

In NaNoWriMo, it's good practice for finishing a novel. Those of us who mastered this, it's good time management skills. Those who've mastered that, it's a fantastic time learn how to follow an outline. This is difficult for me. I've just started outlining last year. Why is it difficult to follow? Because my characters take a hold of my mind and then my story goes off in whatever direction they take it.

Now, even if you aren't in NaNoWriMo, you can do little things to improve your writing. Make a simple goal, ex: I plan on writing 12k words by the end of this month. Hit it, or strive past it. But make small reachable goals. Once you do this a few times make them a little harder.

I plan on conducting my personal best by writing EVERY day. That's my goal. It could be anything too, from outlining, which I've done for Rival Love since Spoken is finished and out with publishers. Yay! And waiting...well that's never fun, so I must keep my mind occupied. And while I clean, write, and think about thanksgiving I'm reaching my goal everyday.


Hows your writing coming along? Does your characters change the direction of your story? What do you do when this happens?


3 comments:

  1. I do plot, but my characters do the same thing as yours, Roza. I let them have their way, as long as they keep in mind the big picture.

    In my WIP, the love interest wasn't supposed to kiss the mc until 3/4 way into the book. He said screw than and kissed her 1/3 of the way in. I'm so glad I listened to his hormones over my outline. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) Yes! It's fun to listen to the characters in your head. Never answer them in public though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start with a basic plot - post-it notes on brown paper - and then wait for the characters to change it. It's no good arguing with them they still get there own way.

    Okay. Now I sound like a crazy woman.

    Have fun with nano!

    ReplyDelete